3.16.2007

Animal Farm) Question 5

What is the mood of this novel? Do you find this novel saddens you in anyway? Why?

The story of Animal Farm is told over the point of view of the common animals. From the most part, the mood of the novel is described in a way of objective, stating outer facts and rarely expressing emotions. There are emotions of anger, enthusiasm, and so on. I could easily find these emotions when I was reading. There is no freedom at all. The animals had to work even though they don’t like it. The overall mood is being one tension. I feel tight the way when I wore small clothes. On the other hand, though this novel is not containing many emotions, I found myself it saddens me anyway. It is when Boxer died. He was the favorite character in this story. He died because of betrayed pigs. Boxer is old but he is patient and clever. The pigs just sent him to the glue factory to be slaughtered. His famous saying, “I will work harder,” and “Napoleon is always right,” made me to think he is clever and patient.
He tried to work harder and believe in Napoleon until right before he died.

The description of the humanity portrayed throughout the book is severely evil. I am sad because the way our society is like this. The animals had full of hope toward their future at the beginning; it’s shown when they were singing ‘Beasts of England.’ Nevertheless, they lost hope as Napoleon conquers the Animal Farm. I feel I am lucky because I live in the rule of democracy, not communist. I am free to go to another country, free to study, free to do things. How lucky am I!

No comments: