1.24.2007

Lord of the Flies) Question 1

What is the major theme of this novel? Why is this theme important to a teenager living in 2007?


William Golding, the author of the Lord of the Flies, has presented several themes to make us to think about in the novel. The major theme in this novel is that everyone makes up the society. Without one of the elements, especially rules, we will loose the sense of duty, value, and what is right or wrong. We will loose humanity like the boys in the story, if we loose these elements. This theme has brought a major significance to a teenager living in 2007, who needs to understand the basic terms of humanity. While I was reading this novel, I found out the new sense of humanism. I had read the books that are about adventures, life, school, or love, etc. I had read the books that are just fun to read and have simple subjects, before I grabbed this book. However, when I started reading this book, I was kind of shocked and confused with the actions of the characters. I wasn’t expecting there would be killing people each other especially the main characters were children (even though it was all about symbolism). This book had brought me a new sight and ideas of human nature. Every human being has both evil and good side. I always thought good books have to show good things. On the other hand, the author is trying to teach us about the negative side of the human. I also wonder why he put children as main characters, why not adults. Because Children don’t have an abstract brain like the grown-ups do, while they are not fully grown. So I guess he had tried to reveal pure sense of human nature like in the children’s world.

No comments: